This is one of two heuristic approaches to testing and test design that considers different statuses of the software programming code. The other is Black vs Clear Box. These two types of approaches to test design can be combined together into one quadrant.
Static and dynamic refer to testing and test design done with or without running the software’s code. Software isn’t just programming code and not all testing is done via code execution. The code itself can be tested for quality alongside the ideas that surround the software and how it delivers value to someone. Testers focus as on the purpose of the software and why it exists and not just what it does or doesn’t do (Kaner, 2010). Choosing either approach in software testing depends on the project’s information objectives, mission, contextual factors and risks.
Dynamic refers to testing and test design of a software program while it’s running (during code execution). The software is interacted with to see what happens under different circumstances and the results are used to evaluate its quality and look for problems.
- For black box testing, this involves executing tests using various inputs to observe and evaluate the outputs with the goal of experiencing problems as end users would.
- For clear box testing, this involves observing or stepping-through the code during run-time to find problems or monitor variables and code coverage during testing.
Static refers to testing and test design of a software program while it’s not running. The software code and ideas are looked at separately of the program to help focus on a different set of problems.
- For black box testing, this involves examining the ideas that describe the software’s value in some way to question it and identify potential problems.
- For clear box testing, this involves examining the code as its written to identify problems with it’s structure, layout, standards compliance, general efficiency or coding errors.
- Kaner, C., 2010. BBST Foundations 1A: Overview and Basic Definitions in Software Testing. [online] BBST courses. Available at: Link t.i. 6:31